Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Fun Food : Homemade Taroball, the failed attempt

Recently I'm very into snowflake and blackball so I've decided to make a taroball version of mine! but....

Well the title tells everything but nonetheless, it was a very promising indication of success in the near future. I was just trying to console myself due to the failure.

I used the wrong flour and turned out to be sweet potato glutinous rice ball. ‘番薯汤圆’

Recipe
sweet potato
rice flour
sugar 
hot water

 Here's what I did
 

1. Cut the sweet potatoes in to cubes (smaller size make them easy to cook). Next dump them into a pot of boiling water and cook them until soft.


 

2. Get those into a bowl and smash'em till it become mashed sweet potato. 


 

 3. Get a deep container and mix it with rice flour and (sugar+hot water solution) added in bit by bit. I used my hand to give them a few knit and roll till they became a dough. 




I did't use any proportion. I just dd more water if it's too dry, add more flour if it's too wet.


 

4. I try to imitate the taroballs shape, start by rolling a few long rolls of dough and cut them into bite size or anything. (the larger the size, the longer it'll take to cook them)


 

5. I keep them in fridge as I prepare to boil a pot of water. When the water comes to a boil, all the taroballs goes in until they get cooked and float.


float~ float~



6. Ran them through cold water for a short while and finished. 

7. Mum prepared some sweet potatoes soup and I add those in to it. 


kid size
 


The kids made some and they loved it. least it's still lovable.

Conclusion: I used the wrong flour and it turned out to be normal chinese glutinous rice balls. Gummy...gummy...chewy... but not as solid chew like Taiwanese taroballs. 

So guys! don't use rice flour to make Taroballs but use sweet potato flour! (need to do some groceries shopping to find sweet potato flour)


No comments:

Post a Comment